Writing an Op Ed Essay ExamplesWriting an op ed essay can be one of the most difficult parts of the writing process. The paper should speak to the reader and present information without being boring. Below are some tips for writing an op ed essay that will make your writing experience easier.
* Primary Task: The first thing you must do is find out what your main purpose for writing the paper is. Is it to inform your fellow citizens about a certain political issue? If so, you may want to stick to your topic.
* Secondary Task: You also need to come up with a secondary topic. You may want to talk about something specific such as the pros and cons of another city's tax rate. Your assignment should be related to the main topic and not the other way around.
* Focus on What? You must begin writing by focusing on the main topic of your essay. It should be easy to understand so that it is easy to write. Make sure that you focus on the issues as they relate to your topic.
* Who: Take some time to identify your audience. If you are writing for an audience in your local community, look for a name that relates to your audience. For example, if you are writing for a local business owner, you might want to refer to 'your committee'.
* The Easiest Person: After identifying the audience, you can move to identify the easiest person to relate to. If you are writing an op ed for a local business, a way to relate to your audience would be to focus on someone who shares the same interest as your audience. For example, if you are writing about a local business that you like to visit for lunch, ask someone who you know to name a favorite restaurant or cafe.
* The Personal Aspect: Now you must address the personal aspect of your topic. Even if you are writing an op ed for a local community, your subject matter should still appeal to the local audience.